Re: [Tooling] [isocpp-modules] Dependency information for module-aware build tools

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 00:04:17 -0500
On 3/7/19 3:00 PM, Richard Smith via Modules wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 10:46 AM Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 at 16:59 Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:tom_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> On 3/7/19 10:30 AM, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 00:15:34 -0500, Tom Honermann wrote:
> >> I don't know of any that use 32-bit code units for file names.
> >>
> >> I find myself thinking (as I so often do these days much to
> the surprise
> >> of my past self), how does EBCDIC and z/OS fit in here? If
> we stick to
> >> JSON and require the dependency file to be UTF-8 encoded,
> would all file
> >> names in these files be raw8 encoded and effectively
> unreadable (by
> >> humans) on z/OS? Perhaps we could allow more flexibility,
> but doing so
> >> necessarily invites locales into the discussion (for those
> that are
> >> unaware, EBCDIC has code pages too). For example, we could
> require that
> >> the selected locale match between the producers and
> consumers of the
> >> file (UB if they don't) and permit use of the string
> representation by
> >> transcoding from the locale interpreted physical file name
> to UTF-8, but
> >> only if reverse-transcoding produces the same physical file
> name,
> >> otherwise the appropriate raw format must be used.
> > I first tried saying "treat these strings as if they were
> byte arrays"
> > with allowances for escaping `"` and `\`, but there was
> pushback on the
> of JSON
> > which is (usually) an error in existing implementations. It
> would mean
> > that tools are implementing their own JSON parsers (or even
> writers)…
>
> This isn't what I was suggesting. Rather, I was suggesting that
> standard UTF-8 encoded JSON be used, but that, for platforms
> where the
> interpretation of the filename may differ based on locale
> settings,
> that, if the file name can be losslessly round-tripped to
> UTF-8 and
> back, that the UTF-8 encoding of it (transcoded from the
> locale) be used
> in the JSON file as a (well-formed) UTF-8/JSON string even
> though that
> name wouldn't reflect the exact code units of the file name.
>
> For example, consider a file name consisting of the octets {
> 0x86, 0x89,
> 0x93, 0x85, 0x59 }. In EBCDIC code page 37, this denotes a
> file name
> "fileß", but in EBCDIC code page 273 denotes "file~". The
> suggestion
> then is, when generating the JSON file, if the current locale
> setting is
> CP37, to use the UTF-8 encoded name "fileß" as a normal JSON
> [...]

I think the above works well for ASCII based platforms in most cases.
Though with some surprising or unfortunate results for Shift-JIS and
GB18030 users.

The point about this format being more for tools than humans is well
taken. Though I'm bringing up the topic in this thread, I'm more
concerned about it for module map file formats (which we haven't
discussed yet).

The wrinkle with z/OS is that, while it fits the case 2 model, no file
names will be (intended to be) UTF-8 encoded and every file name would
end up represented with the raw8 format. In theory, an EBCDIC encoded
file name can have code units that form a valid UTF-8 sequence (which
would result in a file name in the JSON file that doesn't look at all
like the intended file name), but since all of the non-accented
alphanumeric characters in EBCDIC have values above 0x7F, the chance of
forming a valid UTF-8 sequence is low.

We could take the approach of emitting both a display name (with
implementation dependent QOI, essentially Ben's "_readable" suggestion)
and a raw code unit sequence. But doing that well invites locales back
into the picture again, so perhaps just dealing with locales is the
better path forward anyway.

Tom.