Re: [Tooling] Clang Modules and build system requirements

From: Mathias Stearn <redbeard0531_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 11:36:47 -0500
On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 10:46 AM Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 08/02/2019 00.58, Mathias Stearn wrote:
> > I would hope you are marking the module.modulemap as an input
> > dependency of every compilation that uses -fmodules.
> If *that* is a/the change we need to make for build systems to "support
> modules", that is *laughably* trivial compared to "the Fortran way".
>
> That said, you're assuming that clang doesn't mention the modulemap as a
> required include file... because I think that would be sufficient, and
> wouldn't be surprised if that *is* already happening.

I did check that before sending. However, your email convinced me to check
again and I noticed a typo that silently invalidated my results. It looks
like clang modules *do* include the modulemap in the emitted deps:

> clang -x c++ /dev/null -fmodules -MMD -MF /dev/stdout -c -o /dev/null
-fmodule-map-file=modules.modulemap
/dev/null: modules.modulemap /dev/null

Mea Culpa :(