Re: [Tooling] [ Modules and Tools ] Tracking Random Dependency Information

From: Colby Pike <vectorofbool_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 01:04:58 -0700
> How do you invoke the compiler without knowing the dependency information?

There's an important distinction that hasn't been made in this thread yet,
which I find extremely important: There are two types of dependencies:
"Run-before" dependencies, and "effects-the-output" dependencies. For
example, building of an object file must "run-before" the task of "link the
executable" *if* that object file is used as an input to the link. However,
the object file itself is an "effects-the-output" dependency of the
executable.

Header files and resource files passed to std::embed() are
"effects-the-output" dependencies, not "run-before" dependencies.
"run-before" is a relationship between build graph edges, while
"effects-the-output" is a relationship between build graph nodes.

Ninja (and other tools) have already solved the problem of determining the
"effects-the-output" dependencies by asking the edge (compiler/linker) to
generate this information while it runs the edge, not ahead-of-time. This
permits you to execute an edge when you are unsure of the dependencies, and
stashing them away for the next execution of the build graph. This first "I
dunno" will be on the first execution of the graph, when the outputs are
already non-existent, so it doesn't even matter what the
"effects-the-output" dependencies are.

The purpose of the paper (as I understand it) isn't to prevent that
catastrophic "everything is building out-of-order and there are inputs
missing to the compiler and the build turns red," problems. Those are easy,
and any tool can assure they don't happen with simple naive dep scanning. I
have no qualm with that. The problem I'm afraid of is the "Oops. I silently
missed that you modified this file and I didn't rebuild the relevant
translation units and now you're shipping three-week old code because the
build system had a hiccup."