Re: [Tooling] [ Modules and Tools ] Tracking Random Dependency Information

From: JeanHeyd Meneide <phdofthehouse_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2018 00:26:18 -0500
Thank you for your early feedback! I've tweaked the proposal a bit. More
specifically...

Colby:
     Currently, dependency generation does not perform full semantic
analysis. In most cases, it does only full preprocessing plus maybe some
small amount of manual resolution, but that is as far as MMD and other
dependency tools go. Speaking to the Engineering Manager of the Clang
Frontend Team at Apple and listening to the concerns of other compiler
implementers in the room, forcing full semantic analysis to do dependency
graph generation for consumption by the build system or others is a no-go
for many of them. This is one way to resolve their concerns. If someone
could get all of them 100% on-board with doing full semantic analysis for
dependency analysis, then I could just tank this paper entirely. I would
actually be 200% on board with that. But, I don't see it happening anytime
soon.

Boris:
     I added a clause to the paper's wording that the lookup is
implementation defined. This is exactly how include path lookup resolution
is defined. In this case, we expect compiler vendors to be well-behaved and
to provide "/RESOURCE:" or "-resource=" path flags. Given that these would
be command line flags, the build system should have access to them. In -MMD
and /showIncludes modes, resolution of the module-requires can be placed
into those same dependency graph formats as they exist today after the
compiler resolves the resource paths as well. There is no
standards-sanctioned way to say how the lookup path should be resolved
(similar to include paths and modules right now), and I'd like to not
invent anything that might turn out to be brittle or unused in this paper.

Sincerely,
JeanHeyd Meneide