Re: [Tooling] Purview of SG15 and cmake

From: Robin Rowe <robin.rowe_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:33:19 -0800
> I was wondering what was the extent of what is meant by tooling ?
> Would it only be about providing tools, or can we discuss about ways to
> make C++ more tools friendly?

Both interest me. I'm into automatic language translation (e.g., Java to
C++) and automatic refactoring of C++ (bringing legacy code into best
practices).

> I do have a pretty strong opinion on tooling C++ : It can't be done. Not
> really. The preprocessor and its pesky #ifdef blocks...

While it seems hard, as an engineering effort it seems easier to build
reliable C++ tooling than it is to build say reliable autonomous
vehicles, something engineers are already building.

I take your point that the build system will need to be embraced to get
a complete C++ tools picture. Is standardizing cmake as part of C++, at
least within the mandate of tools, something we can all agree on?

Robin