Re: [isocpp-ext] Kona: paper list

From: Jens Maurer <jens.maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 09:51:10 +0200
On 28/10/2023 09.28, Corentin via Ext wrote:
> Thanks JF!
> Most of the issues in SG12 are preprocessing-related. Didn't SG22 want first dibs on those?
> (they are tracked in https://github.com/sg22-c-cpp-standard-compatibility/sg-compatibility/labels/CWG <https://github.com/sg22-c-cpp-standard-compatibility/sg-compatibility/labels/CWG> and there is a general agreement that we don't want to diverge the preprocessor from C if we can help it)

The details of the coordination between CWG and SG22/WG14 are
still being worked out.

However, one could argue that the UB-style preprocessor issues on
SG12's plate might use the words "undefined behavior" intentionally from
a WG14 viewpoint (as in "the standard doesn't say what should happen
here"). This might be a case where C++ wants to deviate from / strengthen
the C rules, also because C++ has far fewer implementations to deal with.

In contrast, other CWG issues actually labeled SG22 concern perceived wording
bugs in the processor. Those may have a higher chance of finding agreement
for wording fixes between C and C++.

In any case, the CWG issues presented to SG12 certainly need volunteers
to draft wording fixes to remove the "undefined behavior" (at the very
least to remove this particular phrase, which is certainly confusing).

Jens