Re: [SG10] Updates to SD-6

From: Nelson, Clark <clark.nelson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 21:29:43 +0000
Here's an updated document.

Summarizing recent discussion:

With respect to N4267 (u8 character literals), we have now had three macro
name proposals:

__cpp_utf8_char_literals
__cpp_unicode_literals
__cpp_unicode_characters

The latter two, of course, update the value of a macro from C++11. I'm
inclined to guess that this is going to be considered a small enough tweak
that introducing a new macro name (such as the first) would not be
justified.

People have talked about how unfortunate it is that the C++11
recommendations use two different macro names for such closely related
features. So far, I have not interpreted this is an actual proposal to
change SD-6 -- it seems like noodling up to this point. But if someone
wants to produce a concrete proposal along these lines, we can certainly
consider it.

But I also want to point out that there are nine other C++17 papers for
which no proposal has yet been made.

For N4190 (removing old stuff) and N4258 (cleaning up noexcept), if no one
from SG10 makes a proposal pretty soon, I'm going to contact the authors to
see what kind of ideas they have.

--
Clark Nelson            Chair, PL22.16 (ANSI C++ standard committee)
Intel Corporation       Chair, SG10 (C++ SG for feature-testing)