Re: [SG10] Updates to SD-6

From: Ed Smith-Rowland <3dw4rd_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 12:24:23 -0500
On 01/01/2015 09:31 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Nelson, Clark <clark.nelson_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:clark.nelson_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> I notice that Richard is behind quite a few of the new features,
> for almost
> none of which is any feature-test macro mentioned in the document.
> [shaking
> head] Richard, Richard. :-)
>

> It's official, I'm a terrible person. Apologies.
>
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Nelson, Clark
> <clark.nelson_at_[hidden] <mailto:clark.nelson_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> > For N3928 Extending static_assert why not just bump up the date on __cpp_static_assert?
>
> Yeah, that's definitely worth considering. The change is a pretty
> minor
> tweak. (The recommendations I included for this were the ones provided
> in N3928 -- thanks, Walter.)
>

> Strongly agreed. This is a poster child for why we have version
> numbers on our feature macros.
>
> > We could bump the date on __cpp_unicode_literals for - Scartch that - that's for strings.
> > Just __cpp_utf8_char_literals I think.
>
> Noted, thanks.
>

> I don't think we need or want a new macro name here. If I had a time
> machine, I'd say:
>
> __cpp_unicode_literals == 200704 means "unicode character literals"
> __cpp_unicode_literals == 200710 means "unicode character and string
> literals"
> __cpp_unicode_literals == 201411 means "unicode character and string
> literals including u8 char literals"

I like this idea a lot.
We could implement this and just have
__cpp_unicode_literals == 200704
be synonymous with
|__cpp_unicode_characters|== 200704
The column in the SD-6 document would just have both both options
listed. We could put in a note to that effect.
It seems ironic that our feature testing system has issues bit I guess
it's to be expected. ;-)

Alternatively we could have:

|__cpp_unicode_characters|== 200704 means "unicode character literals
u'a' and U'a'"
__cpp_unicode_literals == 200710 means unicode string literals u"", U"",
u8""
Then go back to |__cpp_unicode_characters| with
|__cpp_unicode_characters|== 201411 means "unicode character literals
u'a' and U'a' and u8'a'"
This would separate character literals and string literals (as we have
already started) but we wouldn't have a feature with two synonymous
macros. And it's logically defensible too.

We would not be adding a new macro in either case.