Re: [SG10] Draft: ready for the mid-term mailing?

From: Richard Smith <richard_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 17:29:53 -0700
In the __has_include section:

// To avoid problem with compilers not having this macro.
#if defined(__has_include) && __has_include("myinclude.h")

I believe this is quoted from the Clang manual, but it's bogus: if
__has_include is not available, the preprocessor will reject the
expression, because after substitution its controlling expression is 0
&& 0("myinclude.h"). Suggestion: replace the above #if line with:

#ifndef __has_include
#define __has_include(...) 0
#endif

#if __has_include("myinclude.h")

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Nelson, Clark <clark.nelson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Here, just in time for the weekend (in my time zone), is a draft fresh out
> of the oven.
>
> Basically all of the substantive changes relative to what I sent out after
> Wednesday's meeting are related to __has_include, for which you can search.
>
> In particular, since I received no responses to my last message explaining
> why I think the __cpp_lib_header_* macros are important, I have left them
> in. But I have moved them to the <utility> header (having heard no objection
> to that idea).

I feel uncomfortable about this; I do not want us to propose two
different ways to check for the presence of a standard header.

What advice will we give to programmers who want to portably test for
these headers? If we want to support a combination of old compiler and
new library, it seems that we must advise them to check for the
__cpp_lib_header_* macro, since that will work for more
implementations. But I'm also unconvinced this is a real concern -- to
the extent that an interim period exists between a user obtaining a
C++14 library which implements our recommendations and them obtaining
a compiler which implements our recommendations, I'm not sure we need
to cater to that period.

If we decide that __has_include is not a full solution for feature
tests for the standard headers (which I think is what we're saying if
we include the __cpp_lib_header_* macros), then I don't think SG10 is
the right vehicle to drive implementation adoption of it.