Re: [std-proposals] Floating an idea: int main(std::span<std::string_view> args)

From: Sebastian Wittmeier <wittmeier_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2024 19:41:28 +0200
Find out all the previously discussed proposals to this topic and why they were not successful so far.   Here are some links:   https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/hikpil/proposal_new_way_of_defining_main_for_c23/   -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von:Jeremy Rifkin via Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> Gesendet:Sa 07.09.2024 17:37 Betreff:[std-proposals] Floating an idea: int main(std::span<std::string_view> args) An:std-proposals_at_[hidden]; CC:Jeremy Rifkin <jeremy_at_[hidden]>; Hello, I'd like to propose adding int main(std::span<std::string_view> args) as a standard signature for main. Motivation: - Modernization - Ergonomics - Teachability  - Modern C++ through and through instead of 'what's a char**' and 'argv[1] == "--help" is a footgun, beware' Considerations: - There would be slight startup overhead in constructing the std::string_views and underlying array of string views, however, this would be entirely opt-in - It would probably add some implementation complexity - This would be an aspect of the core language which depends on the standard library. I don't love that, but, there is precedence for this sort of thing - Direct mutability of the argument contents would be lost I would make a reference implementation as part of the proposal. Cheers, Jeremy -- Std-Proposals mailing list Std-Proposals_at_[hidden] https://lists.isocpp.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/std-proposals