Re: [std-proposals] Revising #pragma once

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2024 17:21:34 +0300
On Fri, 30 Aug 2024 at 17:12, Jeremy Rifkin via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > #once INCLUDE_GUARD_SLUG solves all the annoyance of 3-lines for one feature and doesn't have same-file issues.
>
> I would love this. But it was proposed before and short down. Maybe it’s been long enough to re-propose it?

Ah, shop a venue, find a room with hopefully less clueful people in it
and try again?

That's not going to work. #once <mandatory identifier> isn't
significantly different from an include guard. #once <no identifier>
doesn't
work. #pragma once with some fresh mandated semantics breaks some
existing users of implementation-specific semantics, and
doesn't work. They're all tweaks to the preprocessor, and our general
direction is far away from the preprocessor.

And some WG21 members will actually look at an earlier discussion, and
ask how the new proposal is different. You'll then
have to say "well, it actually isn't", and you'll be told to have a nice day.

The committee will choose to spend its time and energy on something
more useful. So should you.