Re: [std-proposals] Revising #pragma once

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2024 07:26:34 -0700
On Thursday 29 August 2024 22:42:18 GMT-7 Tiago Freire wrote:
> I'm totally aware of this problem.
> Which is caused by all build systems being quite bad.
> I never seen it as normal for developers who write C++ code to not
> understand how their code gets built, the numerous problems I have seen are
> many to count.

The problem is usually not understanding my buildsystem. It's understanding
yours when I'm trying to integrate your library into my project.

> Build systems are hard, and they are not at the quality that they need to
> be. I put it to you that the objections raised here are a product of the
> failings of the build system, not of the feature being proposed.

Build systems and build environments.

But no, the problem of the feature is that it relies on a statement "is the
same file" that is very difficult to implement in practice because the identity
of a file turns out to be a complex thing. Making the statement is easy;
writing std::filesystem::equivalent() is doable, but whether that matches
expectations in 100% of the cases is hard.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Platform & System Engineering