Re: [std-proposals] Revising #pragma once

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2024 07:21:37 -0700
On Thursday 29 August 2024 22:29:13 GMT-7 Tiago Freire wrote:
> pragma once is already a thing, either you like it or not, you can't stop
> users from migrating to it because it makes their work easier.
>
> And I often times see this argument thrown around "it doesn't work for what
> I'm doing, this library is not mine how do I stop them from changing".

In this particular case, the argument usually goes "you're using a non-
standard feature that doesn't work everywhere".

> How did it became normal that you are taking other people's work, for free,
> and you think you are entitled to tell other people how they should manage
> their projects.

Submitting bug reports is usually welcomed but whether they act on it is a
different story. They may say "I hear you but doing what you're asking makes my
life more difficult and I only have so many hours in the day". This is no
different than using a GCC or MSVC extension.

> And by the way nobody forced you to adopt the tools and processes that you
> have that caused the duplication problem.

Yes, someone did force: the constraints of the massive build environment. When
you're trying to build a very large project, those maintaining the build
environment are different from the developers.

"You" here may mean the collective of the company or project doing the
building, in which case the people who set up that environment are part of
"you". They could have set it up differently, but usually setting *something*
up is a requirement, in order to have a reproducible and infection-free
environment.

Finally, open source projects where I can submit bug reports are usually not
the problem. In my experience, the problems are SDKs/NDKs/whatever coming from
large companies, who have taken shortcuts in creating their content in order
to get Time To Market.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Platform & System Engineering