Re: [std-proposals] Function overload set type information loss

From: Breno Guimarães <brenorg_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2024 06:52:41 -0300
Let me try to restate the flaw in a more direct way:

Take this part of the example:
 for(const aut& elem: vec)
       ActBasedOnType(elem(0));

To make it more clear, you can rewrite it as:
 for(const aut& elem: vec)
{
    auto r = elem(0);
    ActBasedOnType(r);
}

If I understand things correctly, you mean to say that depending on the
value of elem (meaning, to which function it's pointing to), we could have
a different return type (type of r).

How should the compiler implement the body of that for loop?
It needs to create the stack space for "r", but it could be different
types. How much space should it use? It needs to destroy "r" at the end of
the body, which destructor should it call?

If the compiler knew for which types you instantiated that template at
compile time (which it doesn't because that can happen across multiple
translation units), then it would have to create the code for the body
multiple times, one for each type and create a big if-else cascade.
Is that what you are proposing?

Best Regards,
Breno G.