Re: [std-proposals] Abstraction for load-linked/store-conditional

From: connor horman <chorman64_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2024 09:13:59 -0400
> The ABA problem seems only relevant for pointer swaps (at least I cannot
think of another use-case where that would be relevant).

Where there are mixed orderings at play, that can also matter. If the LL/SC
is only lowered to cmpxchg at the machine code level (avoids compiler
reorderings and also pointer provenance issues), *and* the hardware
provides at least acquire/release semantics on every load/store, then I
believe the lowering is correct.

On Tue, 23 Jul 2024 at 09:00, Joseph Schuchart via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]
> std::atomic_safe_ptr<T> simply becomes T*. I wonder if ABA alone is a
> common enough problem that it's worth standardizing a solution for it.
>
> I will play around with Thiago's code and try to combine it with the
> safe_ptr abstraction. I'll need to find some time on the side for this but
> I think there is something there there.
>
> Thanks again for the feedback,
> Joseph
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 12:51 PM Arthur O'Dwyer <arthur.j.odwyer_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Joseph,
>> Have you looked at the recently-adopted-into-C++26 library clause on
>> hazard pointers (and to a lesser extent RCU)?
>> https://eel.is/c++draft/saferecl#hp
>> I think these are higher-level than your proposed facility, but the way
>> you're using your facility to build a lock-free linked list is exactly
>> why things like hazard pointers exist, IIUC.
>>
>> I would summarize your proposed interface as "ABA-free compare-and-swap"
>> — which I guess highlights exactly why it's not implementable (more
>> charitably, "why it must be a hardware primitive").
>>
>> –Arthur
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 21, 2024 at 6:24 PM Joseph Schuchart via Std-Proposals <
>> std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Long time reader, first time writer here. I am working on a sizable
>>> project where we have traditionally provided custom-built abstractions
>>> (pre-C/C++11) for atomic operations. In particular, we are trying to use
>>> LL/SC instructions (load-linked/store-conditional) for some data structures
>>> where available, since they provide stronger guarantees than CAS (avoiding
>>> the ABA problem).
>>>
>>> Neither C11 nor C++11 provide a primitive that lets developers utilize
>>> these primitives directly so we are using inline assembly and
>>> configure-time detection. I'd like to get to a point where we don't have to
>>> write inline assembly anymore to utilize this feature.
>>>
>>> I wonder whether there have been discussions on adding an abstraction to
>>> the standard that exposes LL/SC capabilities where available? I looked
>>> through papers in the last ten years but nothing struck me as relevant. So
>>> I wonder whether there is interest in adding a facility to utilize these
>>> instructions? Apologies if this has been discussed before, I'd appreciate a
>>> pointer to the discussion/proposal if it has.
>>>
>>> Here is my approach: Since LL/SC is a load and a (conditional) store
>>> that work in tandem with potentially arbitrary code in between (vs a single
>>> CAS instruction or well-defined operations if std::atomic is implemented
>>> using LL/SC) they should be encapsulated into one abstraction, like:
>>>
>>> ```
>>> struct lifo_t {
>>> std::atomic<lifo_element_t*> head;
>>> };
>>> lifo_element_t* new_elem = ...;
>>> /* load current head and exchange with new */
>>> while (!std::atomic_load_store(lifo->head,
>>> [&](list_element_t* elem) {