Re: [std-proposals] Stop gap required for NRVO until Anton's paper is assimilated

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2024 09:31:52 -0700
On Saturday 20 July 2024 09:20:43 GMT-7 Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals
wrote:
> You need to convince them by writing in your paper that yours is required
> because one or both of these conditions are true:
>
> a) P2025 is unlikely to see adoption in the near and medium term (or ever),
> for technical reasons that cannot be easily solved
>
> b) the need is so pressing that) a solution is needed *now*

Sorry, adding to (b)

... and this functionality can only be implemented by the Standard Library
because any successful library-only implementation would necessarily incur UB
(read: it requires compiler help).

In other words, you must shown your own attempts at implementing this are UB.

Because if you can implement it without UB in a simple header but P2025 is
just around the corner, then we don't need the stop gap in the Standard
Library. Those who need it can just use this simple header right now, while
waiting for P2025.

There's value in standardising things that anyone can write (like
std::construct_at, for example), but only if there's no replacement in the
horizon that we're already aware of.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Platform & System Engineering