Re: [std-proposals] ABI

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2024 08:45:12 -0700
On Thursday 18 July 2024 08:17:08 GMT-7 Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals
wrote:
> There may be other compilers not producing the IA-64 C++ ABI. For example, I
> have no clue what Green Hills' compiler produces, but since everything on
> INTEGRITY is compiled into a single, statically-linked executable that runs
> in kernel mode (it is your kernel), you must use the same compiler for
> everything. And besides, if you're paying to use INTEGRITY, why would you
> not use GHS' compiler?

That brings a point: what's the value of those classes for platforms with a
single compiler where everything is statically linked?

There's nothing to be compatible *with*. So you're creating work for those
implementations, which are always the ones with the longest backlog of things
to do given their limited engineering team resources.

Instead, if we have a library outside of the Standard, maintained by and for
the people who are interested in keeping compatibility, and only for the
environments were compatibility is desired and possible, it would have a
greater chance of adoption and a lesser workload.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Platform & System Engineering