Re: [std-proposals] ABI

From: zxuiji <gb2985_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 14:53:33 +0100
I agree it's pointless to argue it now, though I do question why there's a
need to switch modes when x86_64 is a superset of x86. Shouldn't x86_64
functions just map to 32bit address when linked to 32bit applications? As
long as the application knows to expect bigger addresses from pointer
functions defined by x86_64 code then there'd be no issue. For example in
the headers it could be as simple as

#ifdef __x86_64__
void* foo(...);
void* bar(...) { return foo(0,...); }
#else
uint64_t foo(...);
void* bar(...) { return (void*)(uintptr_t)foo(MAP_32BIT,...); }
#endif

The compiler will quickly catch any invalid usages and the define or inline
wrapper could be right next to the function so that when it does the dev
can see why their usage was invalid.