Re: [std-proposals] ABI

From: zxuiji <gb2985_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 06:38:42 +0100
On the topic of pointers I would suggest that stdabi::string::verXX would
use uint16_t/uint32_t/uint64_t/etc
instead of actual pointers. The reason is due to what data model the
library is compiled under compared to
the reliant software. It also addresses future changes to the API when
pointers of a bigger size become possible.

Here's a rough example of what I would expect:

namespace stdabi
{
   namespace string
   {
       class ver2024
      {
      private:
          uint64_t datamodel, addr, size;
      public:
          int32_t initstring( uint64_t datamodel, uint64_t text, uint64_t
size );
          // Pointer functions MUST NOT BE DEFINED HERE! Use std::string
for those.
          int32_t appendstr( uint64_t text, uint64_t size );
      }
   }
}
namespace std
{
    constexpr uint64_t STD_DATA_MODEL64 = (((sizeof(void*)) << 4) |
sizeof(long)) << 4) | sizeof(int) ...
#if STD_VERSION >= 2035
    constexpr uint128_t STD_DATA_MODEL128 = (((sizeof(void*)) << 8) |
sizeof(long)) << 8) | sizeof(int) ...
#endif
#if STD_VERSION < 2035
    class string : stdabi::string::ver2024
    {
    public:
        string( char *text = NULL, size_t size = 0 )
        {
            if ( initstring( STD_DATA_MODEL64, (uintptr_t)text, size ) != 0
)
                // throw or something
        }
    }
#else
    class string : stdabi::string::ver2035
    {
         // similar but using STD_DATA_MODEL128
    }
#endif
}

By making pointers exclusive to compile time and not part of the stdabi it
becomes possible to unify the abi that is linked (for example linking x86
apps to an x86_64 library directly). This is the very thing I'm doing in my
own library launcher pair. I did not realise until reading it in this chain
however that there are differences in calling conventions between the GNUC
family of compilers. For now I've tacked __cdecl onto my global API define
but will need something to address that 16byte aligned vs 4 byte aliigned
thing I read on wikipedia