Re: [std-proposals] ABI

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2024 06:55:33 -0700
On Saturday 13 July 2024 06:29:03 GMT-7 Thiago Macieira via Std-Proposals
wrote:
> The standardisation process is supposed to iron out the behaviours until
> everyone agrees that they are suitable enough to stay in the Standard
> Library for two decades or more. No one is asking the volunteers to be
> clairvoyants, so shifts in knowledge can happen. No one is asking them to
> be infallible either, so mistakes can happen too. Further, where they can't
> agree on what the behaviour should be but agree we need something, we
> already have a solution, in the form of Technical Reports and implementors
> have solutions to provide experimental, unstable ABI functionality for
> testing.
>
> So I ask again: what does your proposal provide that we don't already have?

How about this: let's rename your namespaces, so instead of marking which ones
are stable, we mark the ones that are not. Let's call the experimental API/ABI
std::ext and the one that is stable std::

How is that different from what we have today?

I'm serious: what does your proposal add to the requirements of
standardisation and on implementations that would lead to a different outcome
of what we already have today?

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Platform & System Engineering