Re: [std-proposals] ABI

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2024 10:56:40 -0700
On Friday 12 July 2024 09:41:39 GMT-7 zxuiji via Std-Proposals wrote:
> There's no reason
> std::string could not inherit from say std::stable:: linked_list_string on
> said mythical cpu.

There is a reason: the lack of performance due to the indirection and/or out-
of-line calls that are necessary to implement what you and Hans are proposing.

> You would still get your performance gains without
> sacrificing a standard ABI in the process.

No, you wouldn't.

I again request you come up with a prototype Stable Standard Library with a
couple dozen classes so we can judge the performance, effort, and potential
stability features. Find an example from the past 15 years of C++ Standard
effort where a feature was rejected or heavily modified/constrained because of
ABI, and show how that would apply in your library.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Platform & System Engineering