Re: [std-proposals] ABI

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 15:31:06 -0700
On Thursday 11 July 2024 13:28:00 GMT-7 Tiago Freire via Std-Proposals wrote:
> We can sit here and pretend all day that this practice of "having
> precompiled libraries with C++ interfaces, and we are able to upgrade the
> language without touching those" works, but the problem is, it doesn't!

In reality, it does. I should know, I've been doing it professionally for 20
years.

It's not something the C++ Standard guarantees. But it is something the C++
implementations do, provided the C++ Standard doesn't force changes that would
make such impossible.

It's also not trivial, but neither is it a herculean effort. And based on my
entirely professional and thus not humble at all opinion on the subject, Hans'
proposal is unnecessary.

  Principal Engineer - Intel DCAI Platform & System Engineering