Re: [std-proposals] On the standardization of mp-units P3045R1

From: Tiago Freire <tmiguelf_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 11:55:57 +0000
Now that think about it torque not being defined as `N * m / rad` in mp_units might also be another problem.
Because if torque is defined as `N * m` then this units are equivalent to energy which is not, you have to multiply that by an angle to get the actual energy.

We can then use this for example to compute the height a jumping robot can achieve, which takes advantage of a mechanism that transforms the rotational energy of a servo motor into a linear kinetical energy.

We can actually completely forget about the travel of the motor, and accidentally directly convert the torque of the motor to a height by transfer to potential energy, and mp_units would completely allow that.

That’s why I’m a little bit more careful than ISO 80000, there’s really so much that you can do to abuse math before you have to pay a price.