Re: [std-proposals] Forwarding refs for class template arg deduction

From: Brian Bi <bbi5291_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:02:49 -0400
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 9:46 AM Jason McKesson via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 4:24 AM Jonathan Wakely via Std-Proposals
> <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, 25 Mar 2024, 06:01 Gašper Ažman via Std-Proposals, <
> std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Tiago,
> >>
> >> Please display some patience with people, and assume good faith.
> >>
> >> People who take the time to write to this list might not have done
> enough work to warrant committee time, but are usually the influencers
> within their organisations because of their enthusiasm.
> >>
> >> C++ is a large language - helping people here will spread your teaching
> wide.
> >>
> >> Let's cultivate a nurturing community.
> >

> > At some point we do have to accept that this poster is just spamming the
> list with half baked nonsense.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I believe in the assumption of good faith. But month after month of
> nonsense makes it clear that the OP is not posting in good faith.
>
> Assuming good faith does *not* mean continuing to tolerate poor
> behavior just because the poster *might* say something meaningful.
> Tolerating proven bad actors only leads to getting more of them.

I wouldn't necessarily conclude bad faith. On occasion this OP has had
decent ideas, so I don't think he's coming up with bad proposals
intentionally to troll us. He proposes ideas for features he finds useful,
but is having trouble grasping the principles that the rest of the
community apply to determining whether a feature should be added to the
standard (and what form such a feature should take).

The OP might find it helpful to read over a bunch of the proposals that
folks have formally submitted in the mailings, and pay special attention to
sections that explain why certain directions were *not* pursued, such as
syntax choices that the authors found unsuitable. And maybe listen in on
sessions of EWG and LEWG at an upcoming WG21 meeting as a guest, to see the
kind of feedback that they get from the audience.

*Brian Bi*