Re: [std-proposals] Allow conversion of memfunc pointers to func pointers

From: Frederick Virchanza Gotham <cauldwell.thomas_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 20:43:04 +0000
On Monday, January 8, 2024, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> But again pointer-equality problems because
> the entry point of the function you de-virtualised may be that of the
> thunk
> instead of the actual function.

    So maybe we could use 'std::dethunk' to de-thunk the function pointer.

    q = std::dethunk( p );
    if ( q == p ) cout << "It wasn't a thunk\n";
    else cout << "Actual function address: 0x" << hex << (void*)q << endl;

So then the question is how do we identify thunks at runtime? Well we could
binary-search for the address in a global constexpr array of thunk
addresses. Or alternatively we could precede every thunk with 8 identifying
bytes something like:

    't' 'h' 'u' 'n' 'k' '\0' '\0' '\0'

Or maybe just identify the machine code of a thunk generated from the
following assembler:

    add rdi, 8
    jmp ActualFunction

If it adds a constant to RDI and immediately jumps to a constant address
then assume it to be a thunk (although this could be problematic if a
non-thunk function which begins with a loop (and is misidentified as a
thunk)).

I would really like to see a function to retrieve the function pointer from
the vtable:

    class MyClass { . . . };
    MyClass myobj;
    void (*p)(void) = std::devirtualise( &MyClass::SomeMethod, &myobj );

so then you could chain them:

    void (*p)(void) = std::dethunk( std::devirtualise(
&MyClass::SomeMethod, &myobj ) );

On computers that don't use thunks, "std::dethunk" shall be optimised away
to a nop.