[std-proposals] Complex type traits

From: Paul Caprioli <paul_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 02:34:45 +0000
I'd like to float the idea of complex type traits, specifically `add_complex_t<T>`, `remove_complex_t<T>`, and the boolean `is_complex_v<T>`. Since a pointer to an element of an array of `std::complex<T>` can be reinterpreted as a pointer to `T` (with the real-valued array having twice as many elements), some codes use the former and others the latter. So, templated code in libraries and suchlike may want to work with either. My actual use case is FFTs, which can take real or complex arrays and real-valued scaling factors. The functions taking complex-valued arrays can accept `T*`. The scaling factor must be real, not complex. If you are curious about this in particular, my web page is https://hpkfft.com and the type traits are here: https://hpkfft.com/hpk/complex_type_traits.html Are these type traits generally useful enough for std? This question has nothing to do with FFTs. A motivating example might by `axpy()`, which multiplies the real-valued scalar `a` to each element of the array `x` and adds this to the array `y`. The array elements can be, say, `float` or `std::complex<float>`, but the scalar `a` has to be `float`. Note that the arrays can be arrays of real values or arrays of complex values, and if complex values, the type can still be `float*` with the understanding that the real and imaginary parts are interleaved. The same implementation works. If `a` were complex, then a different implementation would be needed. Regards, Paul