Re: [std-proposals] Keeping C++ Young: Migrating to Modern C++

From: Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 13:05:28 +0000
On Sun, 5 Nov 2023, 12:56 Yexuan Xiao via Std-Proposals, <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Facilities like printf were meaningless after prinf was added to the
> standard, but since printf is widely used, deprecateing them is harmful
> to C++. new is vital to C++, we need its placement version, and deprecateing
> it harms C++'s ability. NULL, rand, qsort that should not continue to be
> used, but they should not be removed either.

Again, this is something better handled by a linter or code analysis tool.

My project might want to replace all uses of rand() but keep using printf.
With a third party tool I can select which suggestions to enable/disable
for a given project.