[std-proposals] Fw: Supporting f-strings in C++: draft-R1

From: ejuwte nelvlsk <deccmw_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 16:56:40 +0000
People like me still do not get the zealotry in WG21 to advocate format string instead of adding interpolated string literal. Yeah

I have said for many years std::format and format string in general are historical mistakes. Thread like this proves my point.

Why would you need std::format in C++? A lot of people including me still do not get it. The std::format or its original prototype fmt are extremely slow. And even people need to use that, they can just go to fmt's github to build it within 1 minute. std::format is even much slower than its prototype, fmt::format. Just like std::regex is extremely slow compared to its prototype boost::regex.

fmt_slow_for_u32.md (github.com)<https://gist.github.com/Au-lit/447f376101674503aac2d721fcee0cd1>
[https://github.githubassets.com/images/modules/gists/gist-og-image.png]<https://gist.github.com/Au-lit/447f376101674503aac2d721fcee0cd1>
fmt_slow_for_u32.md<https://gist.github.com/Au-lit/447f376101674503aac2d721fcee0cd1>
GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.
gist.github.com

Not mentioning fundamentally flawed idea which is format string that has been historically security flaws.
std::format should just be removed. It is regex 2.0.

Why would C++, a so-called zero-overhead principal language would add something that completely violates zero-overhead principle instead of adding something to completely replace iostream? It is ridiculous.

Do not tell me "Hey other languages have it so we need to have it." C++ has paid the price for doing so in the past. Remember Garbage Collection Interface? Remember Regex? Why do you want another mistake by adding something that C++ simply does not need instead of using that resources to fix the fundamental issues with C++ which are exceptions, RTTI and iostream which MOST C++ projects ban them

Interpolated string literal is a good idea and i think it should be in C++, but you need to fix iostream first. It just shows the incompetent of WG21 and modern C++ losers in general.