Re: [std-proposals] Return Value Optimisation whenever you need it (guaranteed elision)

From: Jens Maurer <jens.maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 12:30:02 +0200
On 16/07/2023 11.53, Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-Proposals wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2023 at 1:26 AM Jason McKesson via Std-Proposals
> <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> I doubt that returning locked mutexes is the kind of example that
>> would change their minds.
>

> I've made it generic, so maybe they're more interested in returning a
> decremented semaphore or a true atomic_flag?

It would be a more productive use of everybody's time if you could
base your efforts on https://github.com/cplusplus/papers/issues/756 .

In particular, it seems we need a published P2025R3, reflecting the
EWG telecon discussion from 2021, to have the topic revisited in EWG.

If this topic interests you, may I suggest to contact the original
paper author and ask about the whereabouts of this paper; maybe
you can pursue it instead.

Jens