Re: [std-proposals] std::dummy_prvalue -- Kind of, sort of, like a std::declval that you can evaluate

From: Breno Guimarães <brenorg_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 13:16:36 -0300
It would be terrible if functions are suddenly allowed to return bomb
objects that you cannot touch under some condition that is only known if
you read the implementation of the function.

I think allowing that would be a bad move for the language in terms of
readability and ergonomics.

If you want to return something that may or may not be there, it's an
std::optional.
If you know the condition by construction, that's an union.
It would be very clear to the reader the object they got may not be there.

Breno G.