Re: [std-proposals] Std-Proposals Digest, Vol 52, Issue 14

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 16:39:33 -0700
On Friday, 7 July 2023 16:00:18 PDT trtaab trtaab via Std-Proposals wrote:
> When line and filename information is included in code, it provides
> additional clues about the internal workings and structure of the software.
> This can inadvertently expose sensitive information to unauthorized
> individuals, potentially aiding them in reverse engineering our proprietary
> technology. In a highly competitive industry, safeguarding our intellectual
> property and maintaining confidentiality is of paramount importance.

Then turn THAT off. You don't have to print the file name and line number if you
don't want to, nor even include them in the binary. I don't know if GCC has a
way to force __FILE__ and __FUNCTION__ to be empty strings (file a request to
the compiler if it matters to you) or if the assertion mechanism in libstdc++
can be similarly configured. We have that feature in Qt.

But this is QoI.

Please make your argument comparing to an implementation that does assert() in
operator[] in case the index is out of bounds but whose assertion
implementation simply raises SIGABRT.