Re: [std-proposals] std::contains_mutable

From: Breno Guimarães <brenorg_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 09:04:39 -0300
Ok, so if the goal is to act as linting, I'll speak from my experience
using this kind of class on a large codebase for years now.

This would not have caught a single bug, because all bugs related to
mutability were indirect.
We had Synchronized<T> in which T calls some other type, which calls some
other type, which has a mutable member without proper synchronization.

I can give you that std::contains_mutable might be useful for something.
But std::contains_nonatomic_mutable is just trying to workaround the false
violations that you just said could be fixed by using the Override thing.
By that logic we should have the std::contains_non_synchronized_mutable, or
the std::contains_non_const_pointer, or the
std::accesses_non_synchonized_static...

Even with just std::contains_mutable, I don't think I would use it. Imagine
having to change all users of your T (to add the Override) just because you
changed the implementation and added a synchronized mutable? Doesn't make
much sense to me.

That's just my opinion though.

Best Regards,
Breno G.