Re: [std-proposals] this return type

From: Jan Schultke <janschultke_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 21:37:35 +0200
No, I don't have a working implementation, but here is an example that
demonstrates the benefits:

https://www.godbolt.org/z/Ejn9KK57x

When the polymorphic class is already de-virtualized, then returning
Base& breaks the de-virtualization in the second and third call. With
a "this" return type, we would have the guarantee that the dynamic
type stays the same, so we can keep making direct calls.

The only exception to this is when a virtual function ends and begins
the lifetime of "this" before returning, though I'm not sure if this
is really allowed by the standard, and could also be declared UB for
this return types, if need be.