Re: [std-proposals] P2815 breaks all provenance-related optimizations

From: Jens Maurer <jens.maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 08:51:17 +0100
On 22/02/2023 03.53, connor horman via Std-Proposals wrote:
> I just learned of P2815, and I do not know of another place I can respond to it, so I'm going to answer here.

As shown here:

https://github.com/cplusplus/papers/issues/1489

these are presentation slides for P2188R1, whose status
is shown here:

https://github.com/cplusplus/papers/issues/895

The actual paper is here:
https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p2188r0.html

Note the last comment in the github issue:

"guidance was given to the authors, and we expect to see an omnibus solution to the problem, based on #1364."

and #1364 is

P2434R0 Nondeterministic pointer provenance (S. Davis Herring)
https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2022/p2434r0.html

That doesn't sound like an approach is being pursued that would
disable most pointer-related optimizations.

Jens