Re: [std-proposals] set_new_handler extension

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 18:33:52 -0800
On Saturday, 11 February 2023 15:45:45 PST Phil Bouchard via Std-Proposals
wrote:
> But I seriously think the standards should consider linker issues
> because right now nothing prevents Microsoft from blacklisting and
> making crash competitor's products.

What kind of power of policing do you think the standard has over Microsoft?

If Microsoft doesn't want to implement something in their OS, no amount of
pressure the standards and other compiler vendors is going to change their
minds.

Anyway, as Connor said, the standard already says that the operator new() and
operator delete() functions are overridable by the application, which would
allow you to implement your preferred allocation routine, with thread pools to
avoid contention on allocation. If Microsoft doesn't allow you to reliably do
that for your environment, what makes you think that another standards
stipulation would make them change their minds?