Re: [std-proposals] A type trait to detect if value initialization can be achieved by zero-filling

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 22:49:45 +0200
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 at 22:41, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As per subject, I've been working on a proposal for a standardized way
> to detect if a trivially default constructible type can be value
> initialized by using `memset(0)` on some suitable storage.
>
> A draft is available here:
>
> https://isocpp.org/files/papers/D2782R0.html
>
> As usual, any early feedback is very much appreciated. I am not 100%
> convinced about the name of the trait, as I'm trying to model something
> for which there isn't already an established name/concept. I hope the
> discussion/bikeshedding can wait after everything else has been ironed
> out...

When a proposal says "This is a pure library extension.", I take that
to mean that it requires no compiler magic,
not that it's an extension confined purely in the library sections of
the standard. The latter meaning is useless,
I can see that from the wording at a glance, but I think it would be
rather more helpful to say that the proposal
is about adding a trait that needs compiler help.