Re: [std-proposals] Extreme Template Parameter Possibilities

From: Sebastian Wittmeier <wittmeier_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 11:55:55 +0100
What advantage or difference would there be compared to lambda parameters? (Except that a constexpr "string" is converted into program code.) You do not just want to call a callback function at a certain point, but also modify the behaviour of the templated function? E.g. provide a static attribute or not (as you gave as example in another email), ... Then you are clearly within metaclasses territory. And the proposal only has a chance, if it either merges with all those proposals or clearly and extensively discusses its merits compared to them. Please read chapter 7 (and the others of) Andrew Sutton: Metaprogramming - Source Code Injection (https://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p2237r0.pdf) As you see those ideas are under active deep discussion.   -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von:Frederick Virchanza Gotham via Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> Gesendet:Mi 30.11.2022 11:09 Betreff:Re: [std-proposals] Extreme Template Parameter Possibilities An:std-proposals_at_[hidden]; CC:Frederick Virchanza Gotham <cauldwell.thomas_at_[hidden]>; On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 6:47 AM Sebastian Wittmeier via Std-Proposals <std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote: > >  - leave the function scope by copy-pasting closing braces? This is a very good example of where things would go way too far. For example I can close the function body and open a new function as follows: template<text id, typename T> T Func(T const &arg) {        using namespace id;        return Transform(arg);   // Might call id::Transform if it exists } int main(void) {        std::string str;        Func<"std; return {}; } string Func(string &arg) { arg += \"hello\"">(str); } So the previous individual template function would become two functions as follows: string Func(string const &arg) {        using namespace std;        return {}; } string Func(string &arg) {        arg += "hello";        return Transform(arg); } This of course is way too extreme -- we don't want programmers to have this level of control. So how about we restrict a 'text' parameter to being a valid identifier, i.e. it can contain letters numbers and underscores but cannot begin with a number. But also allow double-colons inside it. The following regex would work to make sure that a 'text' parameter is valid:        ^(((::){0,1}[_A-z][_A-z0-9]*)+)$ I have give a few sample strings up on the regex101 website (similar to how GodBolt works), see here:        https://regex101.com/r/VxB7Xm/1 Perhaps we could also impose the restriction that a 'text' parameter cannot contain a C++ keyword. We would need further discussion on whether angle brackets are allowed, for example:    Func< "vector<int>" >(obj); -- Std-Proposals mailing list Std-Proposals_at_[hidden] https://lists.isocpp.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/std-proposals