Re: [std-proposals] Rust vs C/C++ vs C++ Superset

From: Phil Bouchard <boost_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 12:21:07 -0400
On 9/27/22 11:55, Sebastian Wittmeier via Std-Proposals wrote:
> AW: [std-proposals] Rust vs C/C++ vs C++ Superset
>
> Hello Phil,
>
> can you share the .pdf documentation of C++ superset on this list
> (without having to download and install the complete framework)?
>
> Nice of you, if you want to contribute something useful and workable.

Thanks for your constructive comments. Here is the documentation; it
works in multithreaded mode as well:

https://fornux.com/files/pdf/Superset_Manual.pdf

> (In the following I share my personal impression, how it will go. But
> I do not make the rules.)
>
> If you want to propose an extension to the Core Language, the patent
> landscape has to be in a way that the improved language can be still
> compiled or processed by open source _and_ commercial compilers like
> Microsoft Visual C++ and run by their runtime libraries. Without those
> commercial companies or their customers having to get a license to the
> standardized core language.
>
> You have to assume that during the standardization process your
> proposals will be changed and parts removed, others added and others
> would work or be written differently.
>
> You wrote: "waiving the patented Fornux C++ Superset to integrate it
> into free open source projects" <- what about commercial projects?
> There won`t be a C++ language for commercial projects and one for open
> source projects, I am sure about that.

What I would like to integrate into the C++ standards first and foremost
is a framework to allow implicit addition of class members, parameters,
and scope instances, just like what the C++ Superset source-to-source
compiler is doing right now.

Once the framework is in place then we can integrate the root_ptr memory
manager, or other tools such as a compile-time backtrace, standard
profilers, ... I am also looking to make root_ptr free for open source
projects but we'll see for commercial projects as it might be similar to
the Docker containers approach but it's not confirmed yet.

> If you do not want to propose your specific language extension, but
> rather interfaces to your tool and to similiar tools with more
> annotation and customization/integration points than #pragmas and
> annotations, than the proposal has to be general enough for a whole
> class of similar tools, best the authors of those tools are
> contributing to the same proposal, the tools have widespread use, and
> it is possible for open source _and_ commercial companies like
> Microsoft to implement those (classes of) extensions without having to
> pay royalties or be otherwise bound by licensing or patent terms.
>
> You wrote on this list on 3rd Aug. 2021:
>
> https://lists.isocpp.org/std-proposals/2021/08/2979.php (SCC / ISO IEC
> - C++ Superset from)
>
> Was this the same, another or a related proposal?

That was a different idea.

> Best,
>
> Sebastian
>
> PS
>
> That some companies adopt Rust as a second langauge is not a good
> motivation. It would be better to concentrate on the technical details
> and merits, how which category of error is prevented, and why this
> superset is good as a core language change instead of as tool or as
> part of a C++ runtime or a library. Also is it suitable for every C++
> code to be enhanced in this way. Can old code bases be converted
> automatically? When yes, why would one need a change of the language
> specification at all, if not, what about compatibility, mixed code
> bases, etc. If you change only the semantics of the existing language
> and not of the syntax, would it break existing code?

Yeah the advantage of C++ Superset is it can be used to safely recompile
legacy code and to make sure the executable is free from all memory
related issues. I think Google Chrome is a good candidate as well.

It cannot break existing code, it just makes it stricter as you possibly
might have more compilation issues but less runtime issues.

Note that I am not doing marketing for C++ Superset right now as the
demo license is timed out right now because I am focusing on
astrophysics / antigravity projects at this point in time.

Sincerely,

Email Signature