Re: Making C++ easier for new students

From: Paul Fee <paul.f.fee_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 08:57:08 +0100
On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 8:31 PM Ivan Matek via Std-Proposals <
std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 2:51 AM Bill Kerney via Std-Proposals <
> std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> That's more or less what I'm talking about here. I think the recent
>> revisions have been focused on professionals. But a language's long term
>> growth depends on new people being trained in it to replace the old
>> programmers who are retiring.
>>
> I agree, but then again "C++" has no budget to allocate, it depends on
> contributions from people who are not paid anything to contribute to C++ or
> companies that are concerned about issues that make their developers more
> productive. If some billionaire got group of highly talented devs and they
> worked on a lot of stuff you want(wrote prototypes, wrote nice proposals) I
> doubt C++ standardization would reject them. But I do not see something
> like this happening soon.
> So I hope I am wrong, but I see very little from your list getting fixed
> in next 5y(except maybe networking).

Making C++ easier to teach can overlap with making it easier to use for
professional developers. For example, part of the motivation for P1679 was
to make C++ easier to teach, though it will also make the language more
pleasant to use for experienced developers.

Before P1679:
    if (haystack.find("needle") != std::string::npos)

With C++23:
    if (haystack.contains("needle"))

C++20 also added .contains() to containers and starts_with()/ends_with() to
strings. Making C++ more natural to read lets developers focus more on the
task being solved than the language details.