Re: SCC / ISO IEC - C++ Superset

From: Phil Bouchard <boost_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 15:01:28 -0400
On 8/5/21 2:48 PM, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 8:25 PM Phil Bouchard <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> - The memory manager has the property of being deterministic so no new random race conditions are involved, as such with garbage collector.
> That is a no then. Rust guarantees the absence of data races and UB in general.

Root Pointer is thread safe as shown in my examples. I'll read more
about the data races later, but general race conditions aren't gone with
Rust:

https://doc.rust-lang.org/nomicon/races.html

>> - The only drawback is that sizeof(root_ptr) = sizeof(void *) x 4... but can be shrink to sizeof(void *) x 3;
> So every pointer in the kernel would be triplicated? That is far from
> ideal, even before discussing time costs.

Each one of them is derived from the other so you can use it as a simple
shared_ptr, or cyclic-safe shared_ptr. The latter is just sizeof(void *)
x 2. Kernel programmers should be smart enough to use a unique type for
iterators. My implementation is just very generic.

--
*Phil Bouchard*
Founder & CTO