Re: Diamond dependencies and modules

From: Arthur O'Dwyer <arthur.j.odwyer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 10:39:35 -0500
It's a hard problem. Can I assume you've seen Titus Winters' talk "C++ as a
Live-at-Head Language"? If not, you definitely should.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tISy7EJQPzI
He discusses this exact problem: the "dreaded diamond" as applied to
library dependencies. It has similar problems to the "dreaded diamond" in
class inheritance: If I have two copies of library T, then whose global
variables do I use?
Titus's conclusion IIRC is that there is no technical solution (especially
not Python-style semver), and the only practical solution is to "live at
head" and upgrade all your libraries frequently (and for all your suppliers
to upgrade *their* libraries — e.g. in your example it's really the
maintainer of library Y who's at fault, for making it impossible to use
Y-trunk with T-trunk).

The (well, one) problem with Jake's idea of "version namespaces" (and the
reason C++11's "inline namespaces" didn't help anything) is that namespaces
apply only to names, whereas ABI affects even things which are named by the
user, not the library. For example:

    struct MyClass {
        std::string s;
    };
    void foo(const MyClass&);

It doesn't matter whether `std::string` means `std::__1::string` or
`std::__2::string` — once it's wrapped in `MyClass`, you've lost any
benefit that name-mangling could possibly have given you. The name-mangling
of `MyClass` doesn't depend on the inline namespaces of its data members
(or the return types of its member functions, or anything else
ABI-significant like that).

–Arthur