Re: Restrict possible values of CHAR_BIT

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 00:09:35 +0300
On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 23:52, Arthur O'Dwyer via Std-Proposals
<std-proposals_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> However, I agree with Tom that this proposal is not motivated. Personally I think it'd be just as silly to have CHAR_BIT==16 or CHAR_BIT==32 as to have CHAR_BIT==9 or CHAR_BIT==24.

What might be the rationale of this thought? If the architecture's
smallest addressable piece of bits is 24 or 32, why wouldn't it say so
by defining CHAR_BIT
to those values?

> Lyberta, did your survey turn up any C++ implementations where CHAR_BIT != 8? If so, what version of C++ were they — C++03, 11, 14, 17?

Have the DSPs by Texas Instruments stopped using CHAR_BIT != 8 ?