Re: Reserve good keywords for floating point types

From: Matthew Woehlke <mwoehlke.floss_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 14:40:33 -0400
On 15/10/2019 07.23, Lyberta via Std-Proposals wrote:
> Any useful program is connected to the Internet.

So, no "useful" programs were written prior to 1990? That's news to me...

> Maybe by proxy i.e. its data is sent over by another program. Knowing
> exact binary layout is crucial.

No. I can, and should, take care of binary layout at the point I need to
[de]serialize data that is going to exist elsewhere, whether that is on
disk, or across a network. However, for internal operation, I just need
some representation that is "good enough". (See also Jake's reply.)

> Again, flexible types are a relic of the past and only useful in
> extremely rare circumstances. Fixed layout is what's needed in 99% of cases.

I think every programmer that deals with embedded systems is liable to
disagree with you.

Moreover, I can trivially give a counterexample: the existence of
int_leastN_t, int_fastN_t, etc.

--
Matthew