Subject: Re: [std-proposals] Reserve good keywords for floating point types
From: Thiago Macieira (thiago_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-10-15 12:24:59

On Tuesday, 15 October 2019 09:12:15 PDT Tony V E via Std-Proposals wrote:
> Yes, obviously there are cases where format matters. They tend to be when
> communicating to other devices/computers.
> I need to give the correct format to my projectors. But that's 1% of my
> code, not 99%.

And that's assuming you even had to use the binary representation in the first
place.

The two most common interchange formats for data on the Internet (XML and
JSON) transmit all numbers as decimal text. GPS information in the NMEA 0183
format is also text. Those are just a few examples where the storage type from
IEC/IEEE is completely irrelevant for interoperation.