Re: Template qualifiers

From: Jake Arkinstall <jake.arkinstall_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 10:08:29 +0100
This all being said, there are many cases in which the return type of the
non-const call can determine the return type of the const call. For
example, T& -> T const& or T, some_iterator<T> -> some_iterator<T const> or
some_const_iterator<T>. It's easy enough.

But there are edge cases, I hear you say. But there are edge cases
everywhere, which is why the power to do this needs to rest in the hands of
the developer. At the moment this is done by getting the developer to
duplicate code (much of the time). I don't see why we cannot have a way of
instructing the compiler to do that for us.

I don't like the template hijacking approach. Especially as we now have
auto type parameters and widely reduce our use of templating for members,
it'd make more sense to be to have a version of auto for the constness. I'm
going to call it "clever" for lack of a better thought.

This keyword tells the compiler to determine if the function could have a
const version by replacing any calls and types internal and external to the
function body with their const equivalents. It won't be general to begin
with, but the body of the const and non const versions is typically the
same (to the reader) in many cases that would benefit from this. If
inference isn't possible, it's an error.

auto begin() clever{
    return x.blah();
}

if x.blah is clever auto, it generates a const and non const version if
possible, and so on and so forth. If x.blah calls y.begin() which has a
const version and a non const version, two versions of x.blah. By
extension, two versions of begin() above are created. I don't believe this
to be such a controversial idea.

With regard to the wider scope of the original post, I certainly DO believe
that the language will benefit from providing easier and more flexible
access to constness - among other things, including noexceptness to allow
the same code to compile with exceptions enabled or disabled, constexprness
(which we kind of sort of have with is_constant_evaluated()).

I don't think hijacking the template syntax will suffice for this. Instead
I think that we need to think outside the box - or the angle brackets as
the case may be.