C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Reasoning for strict aliasing enums from underlying type

From: Myria <myriachan_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 14:56:52 -0700
I would have used ": int" explicitly in the enum to make the issue
more clear if C supported it.

The rule in C is that an enum type and its underlying type are
"compatible", meaning that they can be aliased. C++ is stricter in
what types it allows to be aliased, but it does allow some, such as
"unsigned" and "int" being allowed to alias each other.

The optimization opportunities here seem minimal, and it loses
expected behavior that C has.