C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Weird tweet about C++20

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 13:27:44 -0400
On 6/16/21 1:06 PM, Ville Voutilainen wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 at 19:57, Tom Honermann via Std-Discussion
> <std-discussion_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> If C++ is a public standard, it must also be a) for users b) for anyone
>> deciding to implement a compiler next year and not having participated
>> into standardization.
>>
>> The standard is publicly available and new drafts are made available three times a year. For anyone serious about producing a compiler, all the information needed is publicly available. Participation is only required for those that wish to contribute to changes to the standard.
> There's the fun part. The standard is not publicly available, you
> actually need to get it from ISO. The most recent messages about
> ISO rules that I heard of suggested that even the working drafts
> should not be publicly available, but we keep them publicly
> available anyway. So therein lies a false presumption; C++ is not a
> public standard, and even for the parts we make publicly
> available, it's not an obligation of any of us to satisfy Gennaro's
> personal demands for it, nor is he in any position to make
> demands for what we do in our copious free time that we voluntarily
> spend working on the standard.
>
> In case someone wants to make summaries or changelogs or any such
> reports or information available, they're more than welcome
> to volunteer to do so. Otherwise, they can continue crying on this
> forum, because that crying is seriously unlikely to cause
> our busy schedules and priorities to change to appease demands from
> self-appointed managers of our work.

I interpret publicly available as meaning "not private", but also
distinct from "freely available". But perhaps there are varying
interpretations.

Otherwise, I agree with Ville's position. We're busy volunteers with
more on our todo list than we're likely to ever get to as is. If there
really is significant demand for this information to be provided in some
more accessible form, than I would expect someone that has that desire
to volunteer to provide it.

Another good source of information is the Defect reports
<https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/20> section for each of the standard
versions on cppreference.com (make sure to expand the table).

Tom.