C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Weird tweet about C++20

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:01:48 -0400
On 6/16/21 6:53 AM, Gennaro Prota wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 4:51 PM Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On 6/10/21 5:10 AM, Gennaro Prota via Std-Discussion wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 5:50 PM Brian Bi via Std-Discussion
>> <std-discussion_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Can someone provide a link to the document that contains the revisions that the committee is recommending to implementation vendors?
>>
>> I still think that yours is a natural and legitimate question, and that
>> there should be such a document.
>>
>> Perhaps the document you have in mind is something like P2131R0. I
>> don't know if maintenance of that paper is planned. I would not be
>> surprised if such a paper contrasting C++20 and C++23 materializes
>> once C++23 is approved. I recognize that the lack of a "live"
>> publicly available document is unfortunate, but implementors know
>> where to find this information.
> That's about what happens in some software teams, where crucial
> documentation is only in someone's head.
This information is not hidden. Perhaps documents like N4884
<https://wg21.link/n4884> are more what you are looking for. After each
plenary meeting (the meetings where changes to the standard are formally
adopted), a minuted document like that one is published containing all
of the polls that were taken, links to the polled papers, and poll
results. Search for "Accept as Defect Reports" in that document and
you'll find references to the issues that have been accepted as defect
reports and for which a resolution has been approved. It is up to
implementors to decide which of those resolutions they wish to implement
in their conformance modes for previous standards.

> If C++ is a public standard, it must also be a) for users b) for anyone
> deciding to implement a compiler next year and not having participated
> into standardization.

The standard is publicly available and new drafts are made available
three times a year. For anyone serious about producing a compiler, all
the information needed is publicly available. Participation is only
required for those that wish to contribute to changes to the standard.

Tom.