C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: extremely long compile time with large number of string literals

From: Mandeep Sandhu <mandeepsandhu.chd_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 19:54:52 -0700
> On Wednesday, 8 July 2020 18:39:35 PDT Mandeep Sandhu via Std-Discussion
> wrote:
> > Can someone explain to me why it takes such a long time to compile?
> > Keeping the strings to under 5K, makes the program compile in about 8
> > secs.
>
> You should ask that question in the GCC mailing list. The standard has nothing
> to do with how long compilers take to compile anything. The standard doesn't
> care if the algorithms rerquired to implement it are quadratic or cubic or
> exponential.

I was thinking if this has something to do with generating a lot of
string objects on the stack. Just to experiment I changed the type to
store a const char* instead (I know having const char* as items of the
set is pointless) and it compiled in under a second. So it has to do
with using string objects.

> Suggestion: since this is clearly a generated file, instead of using
> std::unordered_set, use the gperf application or another perfect hash
> generator.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into using gperf or similar.

-mandeep