C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: extremely long compile time with large number of string literals

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 18:52:42 -0700
On Wednesday, 8 July 2020 18:39:35 PDT Mandeep Sandhu via Std-Discussion
wrote:
> Can someone explain to me why it takes such a long time to compile?
> Keeping the strings to under 5K, makes the program compile in about 8
> secs.

You should ask that question in the GCC mailing list. The standard has nothing
to do with how long compilers take to compile anything. The standard doesn't
care if the algorithms rerquired to implement it are quadratic or cubic or
exponential.

Suggestion: since this is clearly a generated file, instead of using
std::unordered_set, use the gperf application or another perfect hash
generator.